17 December 2010

Paris

There's the Eiffel Tower...sort of

The Paris that we all adore from afar died one hundred years ago. This was the conclusion I reached upon leaving the City of Lights after a four night stay. Some pretty talented and famous people lived in Paris, I suppose…once upon a time.

Of all the places we visited Paris was my least favourite, the most expensive and really the most drab. The people, while not as rude as we were told to expect, could certainly not be called friendly. The weather prevented us from climbing the Eiffel Tower (what would be the point if the clouds blocked all views of the city?), the Musee D’Orsay lost it’s power halfway through our rushed self-tour (Van Gogh is difficult to appreciate in the pitch black), and the near hurricane winds and rain made it impossible to visit the gardens at Versailles, which I was most looking forward to. The almonds in Katie’s milka turned explosive in her mouth (they turned out to be pop rocks after all) and I lost my favourite sweater.

Perhaps I would appreciate Paris more if my budget was greater, my French more advanced and the sun came out to visit for at least a few hours. As it is, there are far too many beautiful places in Europe I have not experienced to give Paris another chance anytime soon.

Katie, near drowned, on the Avenue Champs Elysees

Feelings re: missing out on the Gardens of Versailles due to the weather

No comments:

Post a Comment